The Center for Applied Biomechanics and Rehabilitation Research works in coordination with the Biomedical Engineering department of the Catholic University of America and the research department of the Medstar National Rehabilitation Hospital.
- Dr. Lum awarded NIH grant to evaluate the HandSOME exoskeleton in home stroke therapy (9/16)
- Dr. Lum awarded Department of Veterans Affairs Merit Review grant to develop state of the art upper extremity exoskeleton (3/16)
- Congratulations to Dr. Sang Wook Lee on the announcement of a NSF CAREER Award
- Dr. Kukke joins CABRR as a Research Scientist (1/2014)
- Tianyao Chen joins the CABRR as a new doctoral student under the direction of Dr. Lum (9/2013)
- Dr. Sang Wook Lee wins 2013 Delsys Prize. Read more here: http://www.delsys.com/DelsysPrize/2013-Delsys-Prize-Winner.html
- Dr. Sang Wook Lee awarded NIH R03 award entitled: Development of biomimetic exoskeleton for effective rehabilitation of the hand. Start date of 7/1/2013
- Dr. Lum awarded NIH R15 award entitled:
Robot therapy for rehabilitation of hand movement after stroke. Start date of 8/1/2013.
Dr. Lum presents at a workship at the International Conference on Rehabilitation Robotics, June 2013
Congratulations to our 2013 graduates: Katlin Landers
Ji Chen joins the CABRR as a new doctoral student under the direction of Dr. Lum (9/2012)
Congratulations to our 2012 graduates: Dr. Sasha Godfrey and Dr. Elizabeth Brokaw!
- Dr. Michael Harris-Love named Deputy Director of the DC VAMC Polytrauma-TBI Rehabilitation Research Fellowship program. For more information about the available post-doctoral fellowship positions at the VA-NRH, please CLICK HERE.
- Sasha Godfrey attended EMBC in Boston
- Dr. Lum awarded a VA Merit Review Award entitled "Biomechanics of Upper Extremity function following Stroke", start date of 4/2012.
- Kathy Brady and Elizabeth Brokaw attended the ICORR conference in Zurich Switzerland
- Susan Ryerson PT DSc was awarded a Field Initiated - Research Grant by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR) on September 1, 2010 . (see news page for more information)
- Hoi Nguyen and Sasha Godfrey present at Neuroscience meeting, November 2011
- Images from the Spring Hill Elementary Robotics Club visit are now posted in the Gallery.
- Dr. Peter Lum's article Robot-assisted movement training compared with conventional therapy techniques for the rehabilitation of upper-limb motor function after stroke (2002) was recognized as #47 in the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, list of 'The 100 Top-Cited Articles in Rehabilitation Journals'. The article has been cited 165 times.
Chen T, Lum PS. Hand rehabilitation after stroke using a wearable, high DOF, spring powered exoskeleton. 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Orlando Fl, August 16-20, 2016.
- Chen J, Lum PS. Spring Operated Wearable Enhancer for Arm Rehabilitation (SpringWear) after Stroke. 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, Orlando Fl, August 16-20, 2016.
- Vermillion B, Lum PS, Lee SW. Proximal arm kinematics affect grip force-load force coordination, J Neurophysiol. 2015; 114(4):2265-77.
- Godfrey SB, Holley RJ, Lum PS. Evaluation of HEXORR Tone assistance mode against Spring assistance. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2015; 23(4):610-7.
- Lum PS, Black I, Holley RJ, Barth J, Dromerick AW. Internal models of upper limb prosthesis users when grasping and lifting a fragile object with their prosthetic limb. Experimental Brain Research. 2014 Dec;232(12):3785-95
- Lee, S.W., Landers, K.A., Park, H.S. 2014. Development and of a Biomimetic Hand Exotendon Device (BiomHED) for restoration of functional hand movement post-stroke, IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering, in press
- Brokaw EB, Nichols D, Holley RJ, Lum PS. Robotic Therapy Provides a Stimulus for Upper Limb Motor Recovery After Stroke That Is Complementary to and Distinct From Conventional Therapy.
Neurorehabil Neural Repair 2014; 28(4):367-76.
- Lee, S.W., Landers, K.A., Harris-Love, M.L. 2014. Activation and intermuscular coherence of distal arm muscles during proximal muscle contraction, Experimental Brain Research, 232: 739-752.
- Godfrey SB, Holley RJ, Lum PS. Clinical effects of using HEXORR (Hand Exoskeleton Rehabilitation Robot) for movement therapy in stroke rehabilitation.
Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2013 Nov;92(11):947-58.
- Lee, S.W., Triandafilou, K.M., Lock, B.A., Kamper, D.G. 2013. Impairment in task-specific modulation of muscle coordination correlates with the severity of hand impairment following stroke, PLoS ONE, 8, e68745.
- Brokaw E, Holley R, Lum P. Comparison of joint space and end point space robotic training modalities for rehabilitation of interjoint coordination in individuals with moderate to severe impairmant from chronic stroke. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2013 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Nguyen HB, Lum PS. Compensation for the intrinsic dynamics of the InMotion2 robot. J Neurosci Methods 2013 Mar 30;214(1):15-20.
- Patten C, Condliffe EG, Dairaghi CA, Lum PS. Concurrent neuromechanical and functional gains following upper-extremity power training post-stroke. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2013 Jan 21;10(1):1.
- Godfrey SB, Lum PS, Chan E, Harris-Love ML. Cortical effects of repetitive finger flexion- vs. extension-resisted tracking movements: a TMS study. J Neurophysiol. 2013 Feb;109(4):1009-16.
- Lum PS, Godfrey SB, Brokaw EB, Holley RJ, Nichols D. Robotic approaches for rehabilitation of hand function after stroke. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2012 Nov;91(11 Suppl 3):S242-54.
- Metzger AJ, Dromerick AW, Holley RJ, Lum PS. Characterization of compensatory trunk movements during prosthetic upper limb reaching tasks. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012 Nov;93(11):2029-34.
- Brokaw EB, Black I, Holley R, and Lum PS. Hand spring operated movement enhancer (HandSOME): a portable, passive hand exoskeleton for stroke rehabilitation. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering. 19(4) 2011.
- Burgar CG, Lum PS, Scremin E, Garber SL, Van der Loos HFM, Kenney D, Shor P (2011) Robot-Assisted Upper Limb Therapy in the Acute Rehabilitation Setting following Stroke: VA Multi-Site Clinical Trial. J Rehabil Res Dev 48(4):445-458.
- Brokaw EB, Murray T, Nef T, Lum PS. Retraining of interjoint arm coordination after stroke using robotassisted time-independent functional training. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2011;48(4):299–316.
- Schabowsky CN, Godfrey SB, Holley RJ, Lum PS. "Development and Pilot Testing of HEXORR: Hand Exoskeleton Rehabilitation Robot". J Neuroeng Rehabil. July, 2010.
- D. Nichols, K. Brady, “Development of an innovative walking system to enable early gait training”, Advance for Physical Therapy & Rehab Medicine, May 17, 2010
- Metzger AM, Dromerick AW, Schabowky CN, Holley RJ, Monroe BS, and Lum PS, "Feedforward control strategies of subjects with transradial amputation in planar reaching." Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development. 2010, vol 47, n. 3, pp. 201-212.